Hawthorn University is dedicated to providing supportive, comprehensive, and professional education in the fields of holistic health, nutrition, and the health sciences through the utilization of distance education methods. Hawthorn offers online certificates, graduate and postgraduate degrees, and continuing education programs to a diverse community of adult learners working to enhance health and wellness around the world.
• Provide high quality, comprehensive education that prepares students for careers in the field of holistic nutrition, health, and the health sciences;
• Develop the knowledge and skills of students to achieve their educational, professional, and personal objectives;
• Prepare students for higher educational levels in the United States and internationally;
• Take a collective responsibility for a student-centered approach;
• Provide student support services;
• Enhance communication and critical thinking skills of students;
• Cultivate among students a routine critical analysis toward the review and research of scientific theories;
• Maintain a current and industry-relevant curriculum;
• Maintain a culture that supports verification of improved teaching and learning;
• Provide an active, responsive, engaging, and challenging learning experience for geographically dispersed students;
• Produce graduates that make a positive impact on their communities through leadership and service;
• Limit attrition and encourage continued matriculation to achieve high graduation rates;
• Encourage students to engage in life-long learning as scholar-practitioners;
• Graduate ethical and responsible citizens with strong decision-making skills;
•Encourage faculty development;
•Become a school of choice in the area of holistic nutrition and wellness.
• Maintain a current and industry-relevant curriculum including current scientific information;
• Provide a stable and reliable online environment conducive to student learning that is available 365 days a year;
• Provide research opportunities for students through online library resources;
• Remain cognizant of the needs of distance learners through the systematic collection of survey data;
• Recruit, hire, and retain faculty and staff that are highly qualified and dedicated to the mission and goals of the University;
• Effectively manage fiscal and educational resources to remain affordable while maintaining excellence in educational delivery;
• Remain committed to the mission and goals of the University by continuous assessment to ensure the quality, currency, and relevance of course materials;
• Recognize and respond to problems and issues among student, faculty, or staff;
• Evaluate and systematically assess student learning in each course via assignments and proctored environments;
• Increase student awareness of the quantity, quality, and accuracy of existing and emerging research findings;
• Improve graduation and completion rates by identifying and supporting at risk students.
- Category: ABOUT US
Dorothy Germano, Ph.D., President & Chief Academic Officer
Beth Maizes, B.A., Executive Vice President
Allen Zilbert, Ed.D., Chief Information Officer
Janet Ludwig, Ph.D., Education Director & Director of Doctoral Studies
Paula Bartholomy, M.S., C.H.N., N.C., Director of Online Events and Registrar
Joe Pedreira, B.B.A., Chief Operating Officer & Bursar
Kathleen McDermott, B.A., Director of Admissions & Student Management
James Bernardinelli, B.F.A., Web Services Manager
Aleksandra Jaksic, B.S., Assistant Registrar
Board Of Govenors
Bernard Esrig, Ed.D., Chairman of the Board
Jay Fox, J.D., Member of the Board
Beth Maizes, B.A., Member of the Board
- Category: ABOUT US
Overview & History
Hawthorn University is a not-for-profit online institution devoted to holistic health and nutrition education. Hawthorn believes that education should be within reach. We strive to keep tuition prices low and affordable. The pay-as-you go policy encourages graduation without debt.
Hawthorn University has chosen to focus exclusively on online education. Students connect with faculty and other students via the online portal, in forums, and in live webinars. Archived events and lectures are part of the extensive library of learning materials.
Utilizing guided independent study, professional development, and personal health are core to the University's mission. Students are provided with nutritional tools that can be applied in everyday life to increase vitality, energy, and well being while developing written concepts and oral presentations that can serve expanding nutrition careers.
A stable and responsive staff and reflective, credentialed instructors help students to evolve, connect, and attain goals.
Ongoing development of new educational and holistic programs help us to maintain a current and industry-relevant science based curriculum.
Hawthorn was founded in December 2002 as Hawthorn Health and Nutrition Institute and began offering the Nutrition Consultant certificate program. Hawthorn is approved to operate programs in holistic nutrition by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE), school code #48441699. 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833, P.O. Box 980818, West Sacramento, CA 95798-0808, Web Address: http://www.bppe.ca.gov; Telephone: (888) 370-7589 or (916) 431-6959 or by fax (916) 263-1897. On September 7, 2016, the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education renewed Hawthorn University's (Institution Code: 48441699) approval to operate for 5 years, contingent upon the institution's ability to comply with the mandatory provisions of Senate Bill (SB) 1247 and achieve accreditation by the July 1, 2020 deadline. Hawthorn does NOT have a pending petition in bankruptcy or is operating as a debtor in possession nor have we filed a petition within the preceding five years, or has had a petition in bankruptcy filed against us within the preceding five years that resulted in reorganization under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code (11 U.S.C. Sec. 1101 et.seq.).
Hawthorn's Degree Programs:
Hawthorn's Certificate Programs:
In 2010 Hawthorn University announced a new initiative in Continuing Education: an ongoing series of educational, professional development, and webinar certificate courses. These courses are short and focused. Many are independent study courses.
Bright Conduit Corporation is the legal name of the not-for-profit corporation doing business as Hawthorn University.
- Category: ABOUT US