Programs and Non-Matriculation

Program Matriculation

The University enrolls students who wish to matriculate for a certificate or degree granting programs as well as those individuals who "want to test the waters" as a non-matriculating student with a Continuing Education (CE) course or a credit-bearing course from one of our programs or from our list of elective courses.

Non-Matriculated Students

Students who want to take credit-bearing courses for personal enrichment or career advancement but are not seeking a degree or certificate at Hawthorn are invited to seek enrollment as a non-matriculating student. Non-matriculating students fill out an application but are NOT required to pay an application fee, submit a personal statement, or letters of recommendation. Non-matriculating students are subject to the admission requirements of their program of interest. For example, students who want a master's level course must show proof of an earned bachelor's degree by providing their official transcript. Additionally, a photo ID, and a head shot for identification during conferences is required as is an interview with a member of the admissions team or designated representative. Students interested in taking individual courses in the WTNC and MSTN programs must be members of the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Should a non-matriculating student decide to enroll into a program at a later date, an application fee will apply and additional documentation will be required.

For more information on the application process, submit the request more information form or contact admissions.

Open Enrollment or Scheduled Start

Prospective students may enroll with the following options:

1. Open Enrollment - Students who select "Open Enrollment" can begin classes as soon as all required documentation is received (prior to the next scheduled start date).
2. Scheduled Start - Students may select the next scheduled start listed on the Academic Calendar.

Students may choose to study one course at a time as they matriculate towards a degree. However, students who are anxious to accelerate and who have the time and dedication required to be successful are encouraged to consider taking two or more courses simultaneously. Hawthorn recommends that incoming new students begin with taking just the first course to evaluate the amount of time required to complete a course in the allotted time frame. Once students are confident with their ability to succeed and are familiar with the workload taking two or more courses is highly recommended.


Additional detailed information can be found in the individual program areas of this website.

Lifelong learners can add to their resume by earning Continuing Education Units (CEU) and a Certificate of Completion. See our assortment of Continuing Education (CE) courses on specific topics pertaining to nutrition and health.

Non-Matriculation Status

Applicants who want to take a course for personal enrichment or career advancement but who do not want a degree or certificate are invited to seek enrollment as a non-matriculating student. Earn college credits in specific topics to enhance your personal or professional development.

Military Spouses - MyCAA

MyCAA is a Department of Defense (DoD) program that supports the educational pursuits of military spouses by providing up to $4,000 in financial assistance for preparation in high-growth, high-demand portable career fields. Hawthorn University is please to be an approved school for the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA).

About MyCAA

MyCAA is a career development and employment assistance program sponsored by the Department of Defense (DoD) that helps military spouses receive certificates and licenses that lead to employment.

Eligibility for assistance is available to spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2, including the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders. Eligibility ends when the sponsor leaves active duty.

How Does MyCAA Work?

The program offers a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000. Hawthorn's certificate programs are available and approved for military spouses and can be completed within three years from the start date of the first course.

What is the MyCAA process?

For assistance in the MyCAA application process or for any questions or concerns, access Military One Source, the virtual counseling center, online or by phone at 800-342-9647.

  1. Establish your MyCAA account - create a profile;
  2. Ensure you are confirmed as DEERS benefit eligible;
  3. You must agree to seek employment in Portable Career Fields upon completion of your program;
  4. When you are in the MyCAA website, select Hawthorn University and then select your desired certificate program;
  5. Create your Career and Training plan. Make sure you save it and submit it for approval;
  6. A MyCAA consultant must approve your career plan. Following approval, you must apply for Financial Assistance for the term starting within the next 30 days;
  7. The Financial Assistance is paid directly to Hawthorn University.

Prospective students are encouraged to work with admissions while going through the approval process. A member of the team will advise the applicant as to the necessary documentation required to admission into Hawthorn.

What is a Portable Career?

A portable career is one that is likely to provide job opportunities where military service members are stations. Nutrition counseling and education is considered a portable career.

What does MyCAA pay for?

My CAA does NOT pay for computers, school application fees, graduation fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, or medical services. As a fully online school, there is no worry about parking or transportation. Books are not included in the price of tuition and must be paid for by the student.